Brew Day: Dark Mild Ale
March 11, 2010
Today I brewed the dark mild ale from the previous post. I just finished up what turned out to be a very smooth brew day. 🙂
Because I’m still in the process of nailing down the extraction efficiency of my brewing system with the new grain mill (efficiency being how much of the grain’s fermentable/un-fermentable sugars were extracted), I’ve been calculating my recipes at my system’s old efficiency of 70%. The finer crush of the grain with the new mill is apparently enough to boost my efficiency up to 75%. While that’s not a huge boost, it’s enough to make a difference in how much grain I use. Using my old system I calculated the dark mild’s gravity at 1.036, but it came out at 1.040 with exactly the volume I was going for.
During the brewing session I took tons of pictures of the whole operation, as some friends have asked to see how my all-grain system works. I’ll be sorting through them over the next week and either doing a long photo-blog post about it, or maybe do a series of smaller posts detailing the whole brewing process and how my system in particular works. If you want to see something specific, let me know.