Chocolate Stout: Update

March 22, 2010

Tonight I finally kegged that chocolate stout that was brewed back on the 6th of December. I brewed it with the intention of having a strong chocolate stout that would be aged until November or December in 2010. Well, it’s finally in the keg and sitting in the basement to age… after just over two months in the secondary fermenter :p

I’ve made three or four chocolate stouts in the past, and they’ve all come out pretty good. This one, right now before aging, is easily the smoothest of all of them. The sample I’ve got is warm, uncarbonated and un-aged, but it’s got a nice smooth chocolate flavor, and a moderate aroma and flavor of alcohol that blends in well with the roasted malts. This is gonna be solid. The only disappointing thing is that my extraction efficiency from the malt was a lousy 60% because I didn’t realize my grain mill’s spacing was much wider than it should have been, thus the grains weren’t crushed nearly enough. Bleh. This should have been around 9.5-10% alcohol, but came in at 8.8%.

I don’t think I had a chance to blog this recipe, so here it is:

Chocolate Stout

Malt

  • 15 lbs Maris Otter (British Pale Malt)
  • 1 lb Extra Light Dry Malt Extract
  • 2 lbs Flaked Oats
  • 1 lb Chocolate Malt
  • 0.5 lb Roasted Barley
  • 0.5 lb Crystal Malt (120L)
  • 0.5 lb Caramunich II
  • 1 lb Turbinado sugar (partially refined sugar from Britain)

Hops

  • 2 oz First Gold hop pellets (9.5% Alpha Acid Content)
  • 4 oz Fuggles hop pellets (4.5% Alpha Acid Content)

This was mashed at 150 degrees for 75 minutes so it would be more fermentable. The 2 ounces of First Gold hops were used for the full 60 minutes of the boil, 2 ounces of Fuggles were in the boil for 20 minutes, and the final 2 ounces of Fuggles went in at the end of the boil for aroma.

Starting gravity of this was 1.085, final gravity was 1.018. I had to brew this as a six gallon batch because the flaked oats leave a TON of protein sediment behind in the boil kettle and the fermenter. That’s why all that malt and sugar, even at 60% efficiency, only yielded a 1.085 beer. Also, the yeast used was the cake of Wyeasat 1084 Irish Ale Yeast from the Irish stout I made.

Anyway, this should come out pretty nice in about 8 months. 🙂

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Chocolate Stout: Update”

  1. techcommdood Says:

    Sounds great! Yeah, oats leave a healthy mess, especially in the primary! Definitely need to account for about a gallon of loss from primary to secondary just for the proteins.

    • darknova306 Says:

      I’m thinking of trying a protein rest to clear that up next time I brew one of these. Just gotta make sure I use the larger mash tun to account for the extra water.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: