Brewday: American Pale Ale
March 25, 2010
This writeup is a few days overdue, but I just haven’t had the time for it. I’m looking to brew an American barleywine soon so I wanted to build up a large amount of yeast by brewing a smaller beer first. On Monday I got a starter going of a standard American ale yeast I had sitting around (Wyeast 1056). On Tuesday afternoon I threw together and brewed the following recipe:
American Pale Ale
- 8.5 lbs American Pale malt
- 1.0 lbs German Munich malt
- 0.5 lbs British Crystal malt (60L)
- 0.75 oz Chinook (Boiled for 60 minutes, 11.5% Alpha Acid Content)
- 0.50 oz Amarillo (Boiled for 30 minutes, 7.5% Alpha Acid Content)
- 0.50 oz Chinook (Boiled for 10 minutes)
- 0.50 oz Amarillo (Added at end of boil)
This was mashed at 152 degrees for 60 minutes using 1.33 quarts of water per pound of grain (~13 quarts). The sparge was about 6.5 gallons of water to collect a total of 7 gallons for the boil. For the approximately 9.5 gallons of total water used, I added 3 grams each of CaCO3, CaCl, and CaSO4 to help protein coagulation (clear up the beer a bit cause it’s going to be pale) and to bring out the hops more.
This one is currently fermenting pretty rapidly at about 60-62 degrees to keep the flavor clean and let the hops come through more. I may raise the temperature once the fermentation slows down a bit to encourage the yeast to attenuate the beer as much as possible. The original gravity came in at 1.050, which is exactly what I was aiming for and gives me the 75% efficiency my system has been maintaining recently. If I get the usual 80% attenuation I typically get from this yeast strain, this should come in around 5-5.25% ABV.