April 20, 2012
Yesterday I brewed my 100th batch of homebrew. As it was a little bit of a milestone, I wanted to make something different than I normally do. With the disgusting heat of spring and summer moving in, I thought a saison would be perfect.
The saison I brew at work is lightly spiced and hopped, and isn’t nearly dry enough for me to enjoy very much. For my saison, I said “fuck yooouuuuu, Ommegang!” and went for a spicier and drier version of the style. I used Wyeast 3724 Saison yeast, and am planning to ratchet the temperature up after a couple days of fermentation to get as much attenuation as possible (and some extra spicy phenols/esters).
The grain bill was pretty simple, and geared toward attenuation with the addition of honey and a mash profile around 150F:
- 10 lbs Pils malt
- 1.5 lbs Wildflower Honey
For the water, I had to bump up the gypsum to make sure the pH didn’t stay too high. It wound up at 5.62, which is on the high end, but it’s still acceptable. The gypsum will also help accentuate the hop bitterness and the dryness of the beer.
- 7 gm Gypsum (in the mash)
- 2 gm Calcium Chloride (in the mash)
- 2 gm Gypsum (beginning of the boil)
The hops and spices are the core of this batch. I was going for a spicy beer with some fruit undertones, so a combination of challenger (spicy) and centennial (fruity) hops seemed like a good idea. For the actual spices, a mix of coriander, grains of paradise, and green and black peppercorns rounds out the flavors and aromas I’m looking for.
- 0.60 oz Galena (60 minutes, 11% Alpha Acid)
- 0.75 oz Challenger (15 minutes, 5.6% Alpha Acid)
- 10 gm Coriander (15 minutes)
- 4 gm Grains of Paradise (15 minutes)
- 10 Black Peppercorns (15 minutes)
- 4 Green Peppercorns (15 minutes)
- 0.50 oz Challenger (End of Boil)
- 0.50 oz Centennial (End of Boil, 10.9% Alpha Acid)
All my numbers were good. Mash pH was 5.62, boil volume was 7.8 gallons, end of boil volume was 6.5 gallons, carboy volume was 5 gallons, gravity was 1.053, efficiency was 80%, wort pH was 5.32, and pitching temperature was 70F (74F as of right now, 18 hours later). That should just about cover everything. I’m really hoping I didn’t overdo anything in this one.